TN50 #49, Moving Through the Holidays, 06 December 2021
Happy Monday and welcome to The Next 50 #49, Can you believe it is December?!?
Today I want to challenge you on keeping your Holiday Move, well, moving (-:
If you keep up with my entries you saw this coming since we just covered Holiday Eat and Holiday Sleep.
For some the holidays are a time when they move more based on normal holiday activities like; hunting trips or snow skiing trips or things like that. For others it is a time when their normal Move routine is highly affected by being off schedule and in some cases dislocated from their gyms or regular workout gear. On top of being dislocated we often find our daily routine is completely out of wake as well. When I find myself in this situation, I also find that it is super easy to say, “Screw it, I am going to use this time for rest and not concern myself with working out” Of course I also know that there is a better way. Even when I am giving my body a rest from the normal Move routine I still need to move daily and… You do too! So here are some “easy button” ideas for Minimum Effective Dose (MED) Moving this Holiday Season.
1. If you are traveling light, wear your running/hiking shoes on the plane and stash a jump rope somewhere in your carry on – there is always room for a jump rope! When you get where you are going use the shoes and/or the jump rope!
2. Walk often, walk everywhere. A daily 30-minute walk (or two) is a game changer! This is something you should do every day, even on days when you get a real workout in (especially after a big meal).
If you find yourself in a prison cell (or small room) here are 2 workouts that require very little space and you can do them in your undies or pj’s.
1. Air Squats and Pushups – Reverse Ladder
• Squats: 20, 18, 16, 14, 12, 10, 08, 06, 04, 02
• Pushups: 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10
• If one round isn’t enough, do 2 or 3 rounds
2. Death By Burpees – Not for the faint of heart
• Do a good warm up or start slow
• Set a timer for 7 minutes
• Do as many proper burpees as you can in 7 minutes
• Once complete, send me an email or text telling me that you hate me
3. You can also add sets of 10 to 50 walking lunges periodically to your walks. Lunges will sneak up on you from a soreness standpoint so go slow if lunges aren’t in your normal routine, (don’t do this one in your undies if you aren’t in your room)
To recap, don’t stop moving just because of the Holidays disrupting your normal routine. There are always going to be opportunities to move your body and your mind regardless of the time, location and/or the 5 lbs. of extra chow in your belly.
… Break, Break…
Random Commentary from the 5 Day Fast Mimicking Diet a bunch of us executed last week:
1. For me personally, I had no problems at all with regard to being hungry but I was annoyed from time to time because I wanted to eat what the rest of Team Racey was eating. All in all, it was a really easy week, lots of mental energy and good sleep. I hit a personal new Low HR of 37 on night 4, on my new Gen3 OURA ring!
2. One of my buddies lost 11 lbs. from start to finish, not bad, right? His follow up comment was that he went in a bit inflamed and pretty fat!
3. Another friend saw a body weight in the 180’s, he hadn’t seen a scale register a weight in the 180’s, since the early 1990’s!
Bottom Line: I am going to keep doing at least a couple of these FMD’s a year, I think keeping one timed for the Holidays is a really good strategy to exercise a new level of control in what usually amounts to the Eat Wild Wild West.
If you have any questions on the FMD let me know, I will field all questions to the 7 of us that executed the fast last week.
As always please share your thoughts or questions and share this with your team or anyone who might find it useful.
Have a good one, Alex
2022 Murph Count: 20