TF50#104, Books You Should Check Out, 09 January 2023
Happy Monday and welcome to The Next 50 #104, everyone loves a few lists this time of year (this is the last one for now). Here’s a list of my favorite books I read in 2022, according to Audible I audibled 51 new titles this past year, I also re-audibled many books, this list is my top 10 new reads in 2022.
But first: Is your intelligence primarily crystalized or fluid? Think about that while you read through my list.
For God’s sake; help yourself:
- From Strength to Strength, Author C. Brooks
- I may have really enjoyed this book because I see how my life has transitioned since leaving the military in 2016; everyone loves validation. Right? Regardless, this is a great book for everyone 40 and older, you’d have to be a “wisdom early” superstar to read this book any younger.
- The Comfort Crisis, Michael Easter
- The title says it all, read it.
- Deep Work, Cal Newport
- I will reread this one, for the 3rd time, in March 2023. This book sort of takes the concepts from When, Daniel H. Pink, to a whole new level from the “getting your personal stuff done well” standpoint.
- Discipline Is Destiny, Ryan Holiday
- Regardless of whether you have read all of Joko’s books or not, read this book!
Great Stories with MOTIVATION to spare:
- Endurance, Alfred Lansing
- I thought I knew this story pretty well, suffice to say, I did not. If you’re disappointed about any part of your life, please read this book. BLUF: You are going to make it!
- The Impossible First, Colin O’Brady,
- The crazy shit people do! If you’re still disappointed about any part of your life, please also read this book. BLUF: You are going to make it!
- Finding Ultra, Rich Roll
- If the first 2 weren’t enough here’s the Vegan version of crazy, inspiring. BLUF: You are going to make it!
How stuff (probably) works:
- Life Without Diabetes, Roy Taylor
- I would have titled this book, What Happens When We Eat Food; Especially Too Much Food. Regardless if you have or are close to having Type 2 Diabetes check out this book. The writing is a joy and the education is profound; Beta cells are tough cookies!
- Dopamine Nation, Dr. Anna Lembke
- Not safe for young ears! Think you understand Dopamine? Check this out.
- The End of the World is Just the Beginning, Peter Zelhan
- Only Geopolitical book I read last year, profound insights on the next few decades on planet earth; based on many things, including: natural resources, population math and global trading.
As always share the post with your team or anyone who might find it useful and let me know what you think!
Have a good one, Alex
PS – Two books I read every day and have for years: A Year with C.S. Lewis and The Daily Stoic, I’m also in the Bible a few times a week, I like the ESV.
PSS – Answers to the Crystalized vs. Fluid Intelligence question are in the first referenced book, From Strength to Strength.
PSSS – Have a question on any of these books that you want answered? Let me know.